Thursday, July 15, 2010

Final Reflections

On the way home, I had the opportunity to do something I don’t normally do. I had the opportunity to sit and read a book from cover-to-cover in one sitting. During my flight home, I read the book Sarah’s Key. I highly recommend it; it was the type of book that you wish had another hundred pages because you just aren’t ready for the book to be over.

In a way, that was the perfect book to read on what was nearly a perfect learning experience. In the book, the main character is a journalist who is told to write about an event that occurred during the Holocaust. In learning about the event for her article, she develops a personal connection with one family that was rounded up during the event. In the process of learning about this family (specifically the young girl Sarah), she learns about herself.

My trip to Europe has taught me in the same way. I went on the trip wanting to learn more about WWII and the Holocaust, and what I came away with from the trip was a plethora of little stories that attach a human face to a major historical event. In my eyes, these little stories are the important history. They demonstrate humanity at its best and worst, and they provide us with an opportunity to think about our own actions and how they influence others. I feel deeply connected to a couple individuals, people whose stories aren’t usually told in most history books.

By having the opportunity to read and reflect on documents, visit museums and see artifacts, and view former ghettos and camps, a tragically beautiful mosaic of life emerges. The effects of World War II run deep and are glaringly apparent even today. Every place has its share of stories that are filled with both hope and sorrow. My goal is to take these stories and share them with my students, not so they just remember what happened, but so they can prevent similar tragedies in the future.

In the meantime, this trip has just begun the journey. I’ve made friends and contacts that will lead me to new insights and experiences as well as unlock doors for students that I teach. I cannot wait to share my experiences with students; I am certain they will be as captivated as I was.

A special thanks to the Chicago Foundation for Education for funding such a wonderful experience and my wonderful colleagues who took some time from vacation to follow my trip. I am blessed to work with such a wonderful organization and talented peers.

Warmly,
Brandon

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Brandon. GREAT post. I agree with you, it's the "little human stories" that ARE history in so many ways, and when those stories are lost or ignored, we all lose. Thank you for this blog, and for seeking to bring those stories to life, to preserve them. I'm glad this trip and your work was such a success!

    Here's a link to a recent blog post of mine regarding our visit to Dachau on 4 July this year. Take care, and welcome home.

    On Visiting Dachau, 4 July 2010

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great experience, Brandon! Plus, you're inspiring me to find time to get back to blogging. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete